Town and Village Greens

The registration of a new town or village green is nowadays only possible in very limited specific circumstances where it has been used by the certain inhabitants of a locality for lawful sports or past-times “as of right" for the requisite period.

"As of right" means "nec vi, nec clam, nec precario". That is, neither by force ( nec vi ), nor clandestine ( nec clam ), nor dependent upon the permission of the owner of the underlying subsoil ( nec precario).

However, the registration of land as a town or village green can prohibit any further development of that land.

This means it is vital to have expert legal advice when dealing with a town or village green application, whether as a developer, objector, applicant or decision-maker. Please call or email for more information on what we can do to help you through the maze of legislation.

Latest from our Blog

31. Jul 2015

Comments icon 0

PINS Written Reps Guide

PINS has published a new guide to taking part in planning, listed building and conservation area consent appeals by written representation.

16. Jul 2015

Comments icon 0

PINS Procedural Guides

The Planning Inspectorate has issued four updated procedural guides. These are for planning appeals, called-in planning applications, enforcement noti...

14. Jun 2015

Comments icon 0

CLEUD Revocation

For many purposes a lawful use certificate is equivalent to planning permission. However, there is a crucial difference: a certificate of lawfulness ...